Monday, July 1, 2013

Chair for a Queen


Hello, and Welcome! So glad you stopped by :)

Today we're going to look at the process for redoing the chairs that are part of my dining set. They started out like this.
 


Luckily the chairs were all sturdy and solid with good cane. Two of the chairs had arms and four did not.  I started this process before I started this blog so again, I do not have sufficient pictures of the "during" part of the process . . . Hanging my head in shame.

On to the actual process. First we removed the seat cushions and gave the frames a really good scrubbing with TSP. Next all frames were sprayed with two coats of the same custom paint blend I used on the china cabinet.






Once the paint had dried I began to apply the glaze.
-And I took pictures!!!





 After the glaze was applied I wiped it right back off. First with a damp sponge . . .













 Then with a dry cloth . . .

Once the glaze was dry I applied a coat of Miss Mustard Seed Clear wax.




Then I started  the process of recovering the seats . . . UGH!!! First I had to remove 250 staples from EACH seat! Yes, I'm sure it was 250 . . . I actually counted . . . Believe me, my fingers were so sore from shoving that tool under each staple to dig it up, counting staples was a welcome break!












 
Pulling upholstery tight is a tough job! It required both hands so I couldn't take pictures . . . Are you convinced? Sounded good didn't it? Truth be told I forgot to take pictures :(. I get so excited I just forget to grab the camera. We'll just skip to the end, ok?



Here's a good shot of the fabric I chose.


And the final product! It's so exciting to see this project coming together!

 

Thanks again so much for following along! I love hearing your comments so please be sure to leave one :)


Till next time,

Julie

Up next, the table!





3 comments:

  1. Julie, they are beautiful. Do you have pics if how th did the piping in the seat fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don't Wendy, but if you give me a day or two I can put some together for you. I'm pretty sure I have another item with piping waiting in the wings.

      Delete
  2. Again, another beautifully done project. I'll be glad when you follow through on the entire work process. That will be interesting. I like the fabric you chose also. Job well done.

    ReplyDelete