Sunday, July 21, 2013

Easy as pie

Hello! All my furniture projects are "in progress" at this time and the horrendous heat we've been having has made working outside with paint near impossible. So I'm switching gears for this post! Being a DIYer doesn't just mean I work on furniture. I DIY a lot of things and one of the things I like to DIY is pie. Yes, real, edible pie! Today I'm going to take you step, by step, through making a blackberry pie :)

First off we need blackberries. I'm lucky enough to be able to pick mine in my back yard. 


Wash the berries thoroughly and set them aside to drain.


Next, using wax paper, I  measure out 8 ounces of Crisco. I prefer to measure the Crisco by weight instead of a measuring cup. It's less messy and I think more accurate.

Oh, you noticed I'm measuring Crisco on a Weight Watchers scale . . . Don't judge!
















Then I toss that wax paper into the freezer for a bit. (15-20 minutes should do the trick)


Meanwhile back at the ranch . . . errr . . . I mean workstation . . . In a small bowl combine 1 1/3 cups sugar, 1/2 cup cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Stir well and set aside.




Grab those well drained berries and place them in a bowl. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel.













Sprinkle on the sugar & cornstarch mixture.


                                                                         Gently toss the berries to coat. Set aside.













Time to make pie crust!

First grab the flour out of the freezer . . . Oh, you don't keep yours in the freezer. Hmmm, I do. I think cold flour makes better crust. Anyway, measure out 2 cups of flour and 1 teaspoon of salt.


I like to use the pastry blender to "fluff" the flour and mix in the salt before proceeding.


Remember the Crisco in the freezer? Time to get it and add it to the flour.


Use the pastry blender to cut the Crisco into the flour.














Next, sprinkle in 1/2 cup of cold water. Don't just dump it all in at once. Sprinkle, sprinkle, sprinkle. You may not need it all. Using a fork, lift and toss the flour mixture with the water. When making pie crust you don't want to stir it like you're making brownies. Sprinkle more water. Lift and toss. Repeat until the dough sticks together but isn't gooey.




Once the dough is sticking together, divide the dough into two equal sized dough balls. I use all the dough for the two crusts.








On a floured surface, pat down one of the dough balls and begin to roll it out. I find it best to begin in the center and roll out to the edges.


Roll, roll, roll your dough gently down the stream . . . oh wait I don't think that's how that song goes . . .


Roll the dough until it's just slightly larger than your pie plate. I might also mention at this point that I prefer to use heavy glass or ceramic pie plates. I find the pies bake more evenly in these than thin metal pie pans.



 Folding the pie crust in half makes it easier to get it in the pie plate.



























Time to add the berries! The sugar and cornstarch have dissolved nicely.



Top the berries with about 1 tablespoon of butter that's been cut into small bits. Yes, I said butter. If flies won't eat margarine, why should you??


Roll out the top crust.


Fold it in half . . .












 

                                                  And in half again . . .
 












 Place the crust on top of the berries














                                          And unfold it . . .


Once the top crust is unfolded, pull the edge of the bottom crust slightly away from the edge of the pie plate, just enough to tuck in the top crust.



 
When you've tucked the top crust in all around, it's time to add the decorative seal.


To prevent burning the edge, tear three pieces of foil approximately 2 inches wide. Pinch the ends of the foil together to form a ring. Place the foil ring around the outside of the pie.


Brush the top crust with half-n-half. Then cut a design into the top crust to allow for steam to vent.


Fold the edges of the foil over. Place your prepared pie on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes remove the foil and continue baking 10 - 15 minutes longer.


Taa Daahhhh!!!

 There it is . . . Easy as pie!!



Are you ready to give it a try?

Till next time,
Julie :)



3 comments:

  1. Like your tutorial on pie baking. Looks delicious. I've eaten enough of your pies that I know it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take a slice please.

    ReplyDelete